Saturday, June 28, 2014

Salade Niçoise


I can never give quantities. The only stipulation is good tuna canned in good olive oil.

Blanched green beans are also a Niçoise staple, for me, and I love the floppy bowls of Boston lettuce leaves. Just-hard boiled eggs and chunks of boiled potato are good (to suck up the vinaigrette), and as part of that vinaigrette, I include about 1/3 cup very finely chopped red onion (leave it to macerate in the vinegar before adding salt, sugar, pepper, and extra virgin olive oil - in that order). Cherry tomatoes cut in half, oil-cured black olives are never a bad idea. Strips of raw red pepper, and coils of green garlic scapes, cooked till tender, would be nice.

Freshly toasted sourdough, rubbed with a clove of garlic, off to once, and you're set. Add icy white wine and the world is a good place for a while.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmm, it looks exactly like the ones we used to eat at home...
    Geeez, I'm droooling all over myself.
    Thank you for reminding me of an old favourite I had forgotten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate canned tuna. I always grill a piece of salmon and chunk that up... Still, yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi - I hate American canned tuna. It's usually in awful soy oil or water. Proper canned tuna for Nicoise (and it is proper to make it with canned) is in olive oil and imported, but you might hate that too? I'm curious to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'd eat the salad with the proper canned tuna if it was served to me but I much prefer fresh fish. Fresh, fish, fresh meat, fresh veggies all taste better to me than canned. I must admit that I like a good olive or pickle from a jar, though I've made both of those things myself with good results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. no anchovies? I love tonnino tuna in my salad packed in oil....so good and lots of choves please.
    My favorite summer dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. If you need to get in touch DM me on Instagram @marie_viljoen