Thursday, May 5, 2011

Fava beans


The broad beans on the roof are still only eight inches high, but I am growing them for their shoots, anyway. So I must cheat and buy a bagful from Pacific Gourmet or Atlantic Fruit and Veg (aka Mr Lee's) to satisfy my spring-time cravings for beans cooked simply with dill and terrace mint.

Shell them into a pan, add some water, a bunch of mint, another of dill, a squeeze a lime over and clap a lid on. Bring them to the boil, lower the heat and simmer till tender. Then add salt and pepper to taste. And a slosh of olive oil to emulsify with the lemon. I take the beans out, and reduce the liquid that is left until is quite creamy, then pour over. My idea of green heaven. And I LIKE the skins. When I was little, and my mother grew rows of them in Bloemfontein, I would eat them with my fingers at table and pop them out of their skins into my mouth, then eat the skins separately. I was not a well child.

Life is too short to shell individual fava beans. And I prefer a fruity white wine with these, rather than the Chianti. Hold the liver.

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful photo, I love your blog(s), I love handsome Storbee & I also love fava beans - very hard to find in teeny seaside village a la Nova Scotia much love S & les Gang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ek is so bly ek het jou blogs "raak" gelees. Jy het ongelooflike talent. Baie dankie dat jy dit met ons deel.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. If you need to get in touch DM me on Instagram @marie_viljoen