Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mango and avocado salad


Up here in Nuevo York it's mango season, courtesy of Chiapas, Mexico. The curved yellow mangoes have been selling at Pacific Gourmet (it's on Pacific Street) for a few weeks now, and I have been buying. Soon, they will be gone.

The store manager looked at my bags the other day - mangoes and avocado, and asked, You going to eat them together?? No, I said, ...but that's a good idea. No! he said, shaking his baseball-capped head vehemently. Those don't go together! That would be a waste of both.

I don't think so.

Cubed mango and avocado. Lime juice, salt and pepper, and some olive oil. The last of the grapefruit, too,  each segment freed from its enclosing membrane. Scallions. Peppery greens.

Perfect with an ancho-roast chicken, served cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after moderation. If you need to get in touch DM me on Instagram @marie_viljoen