Thursday, April 15, 2010

Caesar salad with raw egg yolk

6 August 2008

That it was invented in Tijuana, Mexico, by an Italian, I did not know. I was about to claim it as American. That the original may not have included anchovies? I did not know! There's a lot I don't know. And last night I did not know it so I used anchovies...

For one hungry person:

1 head of Romaine. If you don't have Romaine/Cos don't bother. You need crisp leaves that withstand the strong dressing and don't bend. Butter/Boston lettuce would be a disaster.
1 clove of garlic, squashed and made into a paste with the flat of a big knife and a little salt.
3 anchovies (or if you're proper, 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce), chopped small.
1/4 cup grated parmesan. The real thing, no cheating.
1/2 a lime's juice.
1 egg yolk, raw. I'm living on the edge.
6 Tbsp olive oil

So: yolk in a bowl, bit of pepper (add salt after anchovies and cheese if necessary) , and trickle in the oil, beating as for mayonnaise. Add garlic, beat. Add anchovies, beat. Add lime juice, beat. Add grated cheese.

Your lettuce is clean and you have chopped it into bite-sized chunks and put them in a large bowl. Pour over the dressing and toss thoroughly. I use my hands, then lick my fingers.

Then I deviate: I have been frying some very nice bacon, and in its fat I have been frying chunks of white bread for croutons. Croutons must be fried. If they are baked they are not croutons. Drain them on a paper towel. It's best if you rub a clove of garlic over the croutons, too. Add the bacon and croutons at the last minute. Crack some pepper over the top. Eat.

Worry not: the garlic will take care of everything. The blood pressure, the heart attack, everything.

Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after moderation. If you need to get in touch DM me on Instagram @marie_viljoen