Friday, May 21, 2010

Pork ribs with orange and raisins

I wanted to recreate in Vancouver the shoulder of pork I made for Cinco de Mayo here in Brooklyn, but the local purveyor could provide only ribs. So be it. I like ribs. Really, the pig was an excuse to accompany dinner with margaritas - and it is robust enough to stand up to the lime and tequila combo. After a very unhappy experience with tequila in my late teens, which involved a phantom herd of wildebeest (hi Vissie? Do you remember Pancho's in Obs??) - I swore off it for a long, long, long time.

But I'm back. It is a good drink, if it is good tequila. And if you know when to stop. And now one does...

I did not broil the tomatoes and onions first, as one should, but put everything in a dish together and cooked it long in a low oven (250' F, 6 hours). The key is the onion, garlic, tomato and orange slices-plus-juice combination. I added some lime too, and in the absence of anchos (Vancouver has not heard of Mexican ingredients that do not come out of a can) I substituted 1/4 cup of hot sauce and 3 tablespoons of raisins! Worked very well, too. The recipe proper is here.



Add the blessings of sour cream and cilantro, and the margaritas, of course, and you're set.



This picture was taken about ten minutes before I tried to take another, and dropped my camera right into my dinner. When Vince and I picked ourselves up off the floor from laughing he fished it out carefully and wiped it down. No harm done.

It's quite funny seeing a camera in a bowl of pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after moderation. If you need to get in touch DM me on Instagram @marie_viljoen