Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Artichokes Barigoule and Some Men


First published on 24 July 2011

I adore artichokes. Curiously, most men I know do not. The same men don't like eating quail, or crabs. They say they are 'work'. I don't get it. Where they see work I see fun. Hm. Perhaps the men who don't like them are also men who don't cook? Weigh in if you have thoughts about this. Yes, you, too, men.

On the subject of which. Digression: for a month in August my 76-year-old  mom has to get up at sparrow fart to...cook my dad breakfast before he goes to work. Really. Why? Because Selina, their housekeeper, whose usual wonderful duty this is, is on holiday. The little table in the kitchen is laid, and he gets fruit - peeled and chopped  in a bowl (when his white cat Spook was in the land of the living she would share his papaya or melon, which she loved), tea, toast and...I think oats. I still hate oats (from silent early morning breakfasts at the same table when I was at school). He sits there in the window seat in his suit, polished shoes, and carefully combed hair, and has breakfast. It's another world. 

Back to artichokes. 

Here is a recipe where the cook does all the work, so I don't make this very often. It is time consuming, but the effort is rewarded by  the creamy, tangy combination of soft artichokes and herby, herb-perfumed sauce. The quantities are guidelines only. Figure on one artichoke heart per person if this is one of many dishes served at long summer lunch, as this one was, on New Year's Day, in Cape Town. Or share this amount with one special friend, as a main course with crusty bread and sweet butter.

If you want to be meaty, no harm in adding a few slices of pancetta to this.

10 medium artichokes
1 lemon's juice
1 big sweet carrot, sliced thinly
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
6 garlic cloves, peeled
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
More lemon

Cut the stems of the artichokes to about 1 1/2 inches. Cut off the artichoke tops, then break off three or four rows of leaves from the base. Peel all the green from the artichoke bottoms and stems, and sprinkle each with lemon as you finish trimming it. Place them in cold water acidulated with the juice. Your fingers will become stained from peeling, so consider gloves.

Gently spread the leaves of each artichoke, and use a small spoon to remove the choke.

Peel the carrot and the onion, and cut them into thin slices. Chop three cloves of garlic, keeping the others whole.

To a heavy, non-reactive pan or heat-proof dish over medium heat, add the onion, carrot and all the garlic to the olive oil. Slowly cook until the onion begins to turn golden, and the carrots caramelize slightly. Then add the artichokes, stem side up. Add the herbs. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour the wine over the lot, and add enough water to barely cover the artichoke bottoms. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 30-40 minutes, or until the hearts are tender when pierced, then remove the lid and reduce the cooking liquid over high heat to thicken the sauce. Taste - very important. Correct seasoning and add another splash of lemon juice.

Serve warm or at room temperature. I prefer the latter in summer, of course.

6 comments:

  1. I might just make some and eat the whole dish by myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! This is the soother to all the previous carnivorous activity! It looks DELICIOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I have been observing the same phenomenon my whole life, only to be branded as crazy/mysogynist when I talk about it. I have a running list of foods that men don't like to eat, starting with fish with bones (I have know men who will send a lovely piece of fish back to the restaurant kitchen if it has so much as a tiny pin bone - those relationships never last, by the way...), ending with ice cream that has any "stuff" it it, and chunky peanut butter. What is it with them? Must all food be pap?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lily - ja, I could easily...

    jelli - glad it's more soothing. Hope you've been enjoying the recent vegetables here :-)

    Pleasant - well...not sure why you'd be called a misogynist, as misogynists hate women, not men? You would think that such a relationship might not last but my parents have been married for 56 years...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just uprooted mine to make space for more productive things. Suddenly that seems even more of a sacrifice. Don't know about the male discrimination though - doesn't happen in my circles, and I positively adore them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. D - then you are a male after my own heart :-)

    I quite like the flowers, though... Have you ever let them go to seed?

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. If you need to get in touch DM me on Instagram @marie_viljoen